Monday, November 25, 2013

Review: Waterfell (The Aquarathi #1) by Amalie Howard

Title: Waterfell
Author: Amalie Howard
Release Date: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 360
Source: Received egalley for review


Synopsis: (taken from Goodreads)
THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?


My Thoughts:
I was so excited to read this book especially after I read the description. I hate to say this but the book fell short for me.
Waterfell is about the queen, Nerissa, of an alien race called the Aquarathi. Nerissa is warned to leave Waterfell and go the human world so she can survive after her father is brutally murdered. In the human world, she becomes complacent with her human life and has no wish to ever go back to Waterfell and rule. She does not feel she is good enough to rule because she does not garner the same respect as her father. Nerissa must decide what is important to her; being queen to her kind or pretending to be something she isn’t.

The first half of the book was repetitive for me. I felt like Nerissa was saying the same thing over and over again. Nothing really happened; I was reading a lot of explanations. At about 40% of the book, things started to get more interesting. The author started throwing in some twist and turns I really did not expect. I really liked the magical powers of the Aquarathi. I especially liked Nerissa’s powers. For example, if she comes into contact with another full blood Aquarathi they have to show themselves to her…that’s pretty cool.

I didn’t really like Nerissa, especially in the beginning. I found her character to be a little boring. There was no depth to her. Little by little, as I read, I was able to see a transformation in Nerissa. She started becoming the person she needed to be to rule: strong, independent, caring, making decisions. I also loved the chemistry between Nerissa and Lo. I could feel the sparks coming off the pages. I could physically feel their attraction to one another. I really enjoyed that part!

I really liked Jenna and Soren. They were secondary characters but also very much needed in the book. Jenna was funny and always protective of Nerissa no matter what. I thought she was a great friend. I liked how she accepted Nerissa for who and everything she is.  Soren is also a great character. Even though she is not Nerissa’s mother, she still cared for her safety and well being. I understood where she was coming from. She wanted her to be able to lead their people one day.

If you enjoy a book that is unique with great chemistry, then you will like this book!

My Rating:
3 out of 5 stars

Raquel
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment