Thursday, August 8, 2013

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 248
Source: Bought from Amazon/Kindle


Synopsis:
"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans on her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

My Thoughts:
Shatter Me is such a unique novel. It is something that I will not forget.

The writing in this book is INSANE. It is the most beautiful writing I have ever read in my life. The author makes insignificant, small things that we don’t really think about and writes them like they have a purpose, she makes them significant.
For Example:
“I always wonder about raindrops. I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It’s like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn’t seem to care where the contents fall, doesn’t seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors. I am a raindrop.” This is one of my favourite quotes; I get chills every time I read it.

Juliette is such a strong character. I love the character development in her. In the beginning, she appears to be this weak, frightened girl but in time she turns out to be a powerful woman. I find it very interesting that she is able to touch a few people but can’t touch others. I am very excited to find out more about how her powers work.

I liked Adam. I thought he was sweet when he admitted he was always in love with Juliette. Although I found him to be a little boring but I liked him all the same. On the other hand, I also liked Warner. He is such a controversial character for me. There is something about him that didn’t make me outright hate him but there were other times when I did. My feelings are all over the place when it comes to him. Maybe in the next book they will become clearer.

I really liked the concept of the story and the setting. If you think about it, the same could happen to this world. I really want to find out why certain people have powers. To tell you the truth, that aspect of the story through me for a loop, I really wasn't expecting it but it was a great twist all the same.

I am really looking forward to reading Destroy Me and Unravel Me but I am afraid Unravel Me will end in a cliffhanger and the third book won’t come out until 2014. Either way it will be a long wait.

My Rating:
4 out of 5 stars

Raquel
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment